Leading up to the release of Marvel’s Avengers: Infinity War, we’re taking a look back at every element of the MCU thus far. This film is the culmination of everything that began with the first Iron Man film in 2008, and so we want to prepare you for what may be the biggest film of all time. We’re looking at all 18 films released thus far, and tons of other elements of the MCU as a whole. Today we continue our Countdown with a look at the entirety of the Phase 2 films, from Iron Man 3 to Ant-Man!
We’re gonna make this short and sweet, looking at the elements of each film that should directly tie into Infinity War, or have the potential to play into the film. We start with Iron Man 3!
Iron Man 3
- Tony no longer has his arc reactor in his chest and has begun to learn to be responsible.
- The Mandarin was played off as a ploy by Aldrich Killian. (But there may be a real Manadarin out there still.)
- Pepper suited up for the first time, and may again, as she has in the comics.
- Tony created the Iron Legion. A group of suits to help protect Pepper and the world. He destroys them at the end of the film, but can recreate them.
- Harley Keener, the kid that helps Tony rebuild his suit hasn’t been seen since the film.
Thor: The Dark World
- Loki takes over as king of Asgard, without anyone knowing he’s masquerading as Odin, and Odin’s whereabouts unknown.
- After being used by the Dark Elves, The Aether aka the Reality Infinity Stone, is given to the collector for safe keeping.
- Thor returns to Earth for an undetermined amount of time. He’s next seen in Avengers: Age of Ultron, so there’s a good chance he’s there from the end of this film until then.
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
- SHIELD was secretly taken over by Hydra throughout the years, and is torn apart and destroyed by Captain America, Black Widow and Falcon.
- Nick Fury is presumed dead by the entire world. But is secretly alive and going on his own missions.
- Bucky Barnes is alive, and after years as a Super-Soldier Assassin called the Winter Soldier, being taken in and out of Cryogenic Sleep. He begins to remember his past.
- Cap and Falcon decide to begin looking for Bucky, hoping to help return him to his normal self.
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 1
- Peter Quill has discovered he’s half human, half something else and goes searching for his father.
- Gamora, the adopted Daughter of Thanos decides to take a good path and join the Guardians.
- Drax the Destroyer, while joining the Guardians of the Galaxy, still yearns to kill Thanos after he was responsible for the death of his wife and daughter.
- Rocket Racoon has found a family with the Guardians of the Galaxy.
- Groot was killed, but a new Groot, that is essentially a spawn of the original, begins to grow.
- The brunt of the Nova Corps army has been destroyed after the battle with Ronan the Accuser, leaving them in a weakened state.
- The Power Infinity Stone is kept safe with the Nova Corps.
- Thanos has once again failed to get an Infinity Stone after sending a trusted ally to obtain it.
Avengers: Age of Ultron
- The Mind Infinity Stone is placed into the Android Vision, used to keep him alive.
- Thor is going in search of information regarding the fact that multiple Infinity Stones have shown up recently.
- Captain America is leading a new group of Avengers consisting of him, Black Widow, Falcon, Scarlet Witch, Falcon and Vision.
- Tony has pretty much decided to retire as an Avenger.
- Hawkeye has essentially retired as an Avenger, and will spend his days with his wife and three kids.
- In the Post Credit Scene Thanos grabs the Infinity Gauntlet and decides to go in search of the Infinity Stones himself.
- Scott Lang has become Ant-Man, taking the mantle from Hank Pym.
- Janet van Dyne is missing, presumed dead, in the quantum realm.
- Hank Pym has begun making a new Wasp suit for Hope van Dyne.
- Scott Lang has met and fought with Falcon, and Flacon plans to recruit him for their mission to clear Bucky’s name in the next Captain America film.
As of now, those are the biggest lingering elements of Phase 2 of the MCU that could come into play when Avengers: Infinity War hits theaters TONIGHT!
Be sure to keep an eye out for even more Infinity War coverage throughout today and the rest of this weekend! And you can check out all of our Countdown to Infinity Series here:
The Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 2
Captain America: The First Avenger
MCU Timeline Part 1 The Birth of the MCU
MCU Timeline Pt. 2 1900-WW2
MCU Timeline Pt. 3 1946-1979
MCU Timeline Pt. 4 1980-1999
MCU Timeline Pt. 5 2000-2008
MCU Timeline Pt. 6 2009
MCU Timeline Pt. 7 2010-2011
MCU Timeline Pt. 8 2012
Iron Man 3