The 2018 San Diego International Comic Con has come to a close but we still have TONS of news from the yearly event!
The CW held a panel for the superhero series, The Flash, at this year’s SDCC. The majority of the cast, as well as showrunner Todd Helbing were on hand and gave some details on the new season. We also got our first look at season five with a new trailer which you can check out below.
This panel was without a doubt one of the most informative at SDCC. Almost every single comment was a reveal of something new for this season. We’ve got a full list of everything we learned from the panel below.
- The Big Bad for the new season will be Cicada, played by Chris Kline (American Pie). He won’t be a cult leader, but he will have powers.
- Barry will be getting a new suit that goes with the ring, one that is a bit more closer to the comics.
- Grant Gustin stated that this is the best first episode of a season since the Pilot.
- Nora, Barry and Iris’ daughter, will immediately bond with Barry but be distant with Iris.
- Iris is worried that the distance with Nora means she may be an absent mother, like her mom.
- Danielle Panabaker will direct an episode this season. She’s the first female cast member of the Arrow-verse to direct an episode.
- Tom Cavanagh will play a new version of Wells this season. One that might not be as much of a friend to the team.
- Tom is a big influence on what they decide to do with Wells each season. He had talks with the producers before the last season ended about what they would do this year.
- Tom will be directing the 100th episode of the show, which will also serve as the midseason finale.
- Cisco and Ralph will bond a bit more now that Cisco is a bachelor again.
- We’ll see Ralph grow a bit more, after completing his hero arc last season.
- Cisco will have a big event that tests his powers and may lead to new uses of his powers/new abilities early in the season.
- We will learn how and why Caitlin became Killer Frost.
- Iris is going back to being a journalist. Candice Patton commented that Journalists are “the superheroes of today.” And she’s excited to get back into that side of the character.
- Barry will be back at his job as a CSI, and we’ll see more of that side of his life this season.
- Ralph will be getting into more detective work.
- They are introducing a younger version of the Rogues. Whether that’s a younger version of previously introduced characters, or a new team of villains is unclear.
- They will be introducing an LGBTQ character.
- They’re attempting to do a Grodd and King Shark episode in the back half of the season.
- We will finally learn what the language was that Barry was writing out when he emerged from the Speed Force. It’ll be part of Nora’s story.
Overall it sounds like this new season of the flash will be getting back to a lot of the things that made the show so excellent. The first two seasons were really fantastic, but the show hit a bit of a slump in the third season and began to do better last season.
We’ll see how things turn out when Season 5 of The Flash airs on the CW this fall, on Tuesday October 9th. Keep following Poor Man’s Spoiler for more updates on all the big news to come out of SDCC 2018!