“I wish I was the monster you think I am.”
With Game of Thrones final episode coming this Sunday, we’re taking a look at the road that led to the final battle for Westeros. Next up we’re going through the fourth season with a rundown of what happened, who was killed, and our favorite line from each episode. Let’s dive in.
4.1 – Two Swords
- Tywin has a swordsmith make two swords out of Ned Stark’s Valyrian steel sword. He gives one to Jaime and tells him to go to Casterly Rock.
- Tyrion waits to welcome the Oberyn Martell only to find that he’s already at King’s Landing. He finds him at Littlefinger’s brothel with his paramour Ellaria Sand. Oberyn tells Tyrion about his sister falling in love with Rhaegar Targaryen. That the Lannisters killed his family, and the Mountain killed his sister.
- Sansa is torn apart and not eating because of Robb and Catelyn’s deaths.
- Shea asks Tyrion if he wants her to leave, she thinks he told Varys to tell her to leave. Cersei’s spy sees her leave Tyrion’s room.
- Cersei gets Jamie a golden hand and tells him he took too long coming back.
- The Wildlings are joined by the Thenn men (cannibals).
- Jon talks to Sam about Robb’s death. Jon tells the leaders what all he did, Maester Aemon says they won’t kill Jon.
- Brienne tells Margaery how Renly died.
- Jamie makes plans for the Kingsguard during the wedding, Joffrey chastises him for being captured and losing his hand.
- Daenerys arrives in Meereen, where they come to the 163 mile markers leading up to the gates of Meereen. The mile markers consist of slaves crucified on posts.
- Brianne asks Jamie to protect Sansa.
- Ser Dontos, a knight that Sansa saved by asking Joffrey to name him his jester, gives Sansa his mothers necklace.
- The Hound and Arya find Polliver and Lannister men at an Inn, and kill them, she takes back needle and gets a horse.
Kill Count: +5
- Polliver, Lowell and at least 3 other Lannister soldiers are killed by The Hound and Arya.
- “You always know when a man is telling a lie. How did you acquire this magical power?” – Alliser Thorne
“I grew up in King’s Landing.” – Maester Aemon
4.2 – The Lion and The Rose
- Ramsay hunts down one of his whores with his dogs and Myranda.
- Tyrion has Bronn train Jamie to fight with his left hand.
- Roose Bolton arrives at Winterfell and scolds Ramsay for breaking Theon, Ramsay shows him that Theon has become Reek.
- Varys tells Tyrion that Cersei knows about Shea.
- Joffrey is given gifts for the wedding, including the second Valyrian Steel sword made by Tywin, he names it Widow’s Wail.
- Tyrion sends Shae away to save her.
- Melisandre burns more of Stannis’ men, including his wife’s brother, Lord Florent. Melisandre tells Shireen about the lord of light.
- Bran dreams he’s in Summer’s body, hunting. Jojen warns Bran about spending too long in visions. Bran sees where they must go.
- Joffrey and Margaery are married. Margaery states the leftovers will be given to the poor. Jamie tells Loras he’s not going to marry Cersei.
- Cersei thanks Brienne, and she calls her out for loving Jamie. Then tells Pycelle that the leftovers be fed to the dogs.
- Ellaria Sand and Oberyn meet Tywin and Cersei.
- Joffrey presents a show with dwarfs and torments Tyrion.
- Joffrey eats some pie and drinks wine from a cup Tyrion gave, he chokes and dies from poison, Cersei blames Tyrion.
Kill Count: +5
- Tansy is hunted down by Ramsay and Myranda, and eaten alive by Ramsay’s dogs.
- Axell Florent, Stannis’ Brother in Law, as well as two other men, are burned alive as sacrifices for the Lord of Light. (It’s implied that more men are burned alive as well.)
- Joffrey Baratheon is poisoned, his death blamed on Tyrion, but in fact is a plot carried out by Olenna Tyrell, Petyr Baelish and Dontos Hollard.
- “People everywhere have their differences. In some places, the highborn frown upon those of low birth. In other places, the rape and murder of women and children is considered distasteful. What a fortunate thing for you, former Queen Regent, that your daughter Myrcella has been sent to live in a latter sort of place.” – Oberyn Martell
4.3 – Breaker of Chains
- Tywin closes the gates and harbor demanding they find Sansa.
- Ser Dontos takes Sansa to Petyr Baelish. Baelish kills Dontos.
- Olenna tells Margaery that she’s better off in this spot.
- Tywin asks Tommen what makes a good king, prepping him to become his pawn.
- Cersei asks Jamie to kill Tyrion, says she doesn’t want a trial. She turns Jamie away and he forces her to have sex with him next to Joffrey’s dead body in the Sept.
- The Hound and Arya have food with a farmer and his daughter, the Hound steals their silver and they leave.
- Sam warns Gilly about the other men at Castle Black. He later decides to leave her at the brothel at Mole’s Town.
- Stannis tells Davos they need to work harder and faster. Davos comes up with a plan concerning the Iron Bank.
- Tywin asks Oberyn to judge Tyrion’s trial.
- Podrick tells Tyrion who the judges are. Tyrion asks Podrick to tell them he’ll speak against Tyrion, and leave King’s Landing.
- The Wildlings massacre a camp of northerners, and send a boy to Castle Black.
- The good Night’s Watch men come back from Craster’s, Jon says they need to attack the mutineers so they don’t tell Mance how few men are at Castle Black.
- Daenerys arrives at Meereen and shows the people that she will free them.
Kill Count: Dozens
- Dontos Hollard is killed by Littlefinger.
- Oznark zo Pahl is killed by Daario in battle.
- Numerous Northern vilagers are killed by Wildlings.
- “When it comes to war, I fight for Dorne. When it comes to love, I don’t choose sides.” – Oberyn
4.4 – Oathkeeper
- Missandei and Grey Worm talk as she teaches him English.
- Grey Worm leads a squad into Meereen, they give the slaves weapons, and take Meereen.
- Jaime and Bronn train. He tells Jaime that Tyrion wanted Jaime to be his champion at the Vale.
- Jaime goes to see Tyrion. He asks how he can help.
- Baelish tells Sansa that he’s marrying her aunt. Admits he conspired to kill Joffrey and that her necklace was a fake, which housed the poison.
- Olenna explains how she won her husband Luther over to Margaery. She removes a strand from Margaery’s necklace, presumably a backup bit of poison.
- Jon practices with the Night’s Watch. Locke is there, disguised as one of them.
- Jaime gives Brienne his Valyrian steel sword and a suit of armor, asks her to go find Sansa, to protect her. He makes Pod her squire. She names the sword Oathkeeper. They say their goodbyes.
- Jon tries to figure out where Bran may be. Alliser allows Jon to go to Craster’s, he can take volunteers. Lock is one of the volunteers.
- Karl Tanner drinks from Mormont’s skull at Craster’s camp. He sends Rast out with Craster’s last son, he sets him out and taunts Ghost. Bran and his group finds Craster’s and is captured by Karl.
- The Night King turns Caster’s last baby into a White Walker.
Kill Count: Unknown
- Numerous former slave masters are killed by Daenerys’ men.
- “A single day of freedom is worth more than a lifetime in chains.” – Grey Worm
4.5 – First of His Name
- Tommen is named King. Cersei asks Margaery if she wants to be queen.
- Jorah tells Daenerys that Astapor and Yankur have been taken. She decides to rule over Slaver’s Bay for now and retake both lands.
- Baelish brings Sansa to Lysa Arryn, her aunt. Lysa admits that she poisoned Jon Arryn at Baelish’s request. They marry immediately.
- Tywin and Cersei discuss the pending nuptials to the Tyrells. Tywin explains that their mines are empty and they owe the Iron Bank.
- Arya goes through her list of names, the Hound hears it for the first time.
- Lysa and Sansa discuss Catelyn. She asks if Baelish did anything with her. Says Robin will marry her.
- Podrick and Brienne continue to the wall, she asks him to leave, but he tells her he won’t no matter what. He later explains how he saved Tyrion at Blackwater.
- The Hound wakes up to find Arya gone, she’s practicing sword fighting, he scoffs at her.
- Cersei meets with Oberyn, she tries to win his favor as he is a judge, and asks that he give her daughter a ship she made upon his return to Dorne.
- Jojen sees Bran at a weirwood tree, he knows Bran needs to get there. He sees his hand burning.
- Karl tries to take Meera, Jojen tells Karl that he has the sight and will help him if he releases Meera.
- The Night’s Watch attack. Locke tries to take Bran, who takes over Hodor and kills Locke. Bran and his group leave Craster’s.
- Jon fights Karl Tanner, he kills him. Rast escapes and runs off, Summer kills him and returns to Jon. They burn Craster’s Keep.
Kill Count: 16
- Karl, Rast and the 9 other Mutineers are killed by the Night’s Watch.
- Locke and 4 other true members of the Night’s Watch are killed.
- “Everywhere in the world, they hurt little girls.” – Cersei Lannister
- “I will not let those I have freed slide back into chains.” – Daenerys Targaryen
4.6 – The Laws of Gods and Men
- Stannis sails to the Iron Bank with Davos. Davos convinces them that Stannis is the safest bet for repaying the debts of Westeros. Davos recruits Salladhor.
- Yara sails for Winterfell upon arriving she finds Theon in the kennels. Ramsay overtakes them, she leaves saying Theon is dead.
- Ramsay gives Reek a bath and asks him for help saying he needs to pretend to be Theon Greyjoy.
- A Shepherd comes to Daenerys and tells her his goats were killed by one of the dragons. She will give him the value of the goats three times over.
- Hizdahr zo Loraq asks that his father, a nobleman be taken down from crucifixion and buried properly.
- At a council meeting Tywin puts a 100 silver piece bounty on the Hound, and Varys warns of Daenerys.
- Varys and Oberyn meet in the throne room, Varys says he doesn’t desire men or women.
- Jaime takes Tyrion in chains to the court. They damn him based on his previous bouts with Cersei and Joffrey.
- Jaime asks Tywin to save Tyrion, says he’ll take his place as Tywin’s heir. Tywin agrees and says he’ll send Tyrion to the Wall.
- The crown calls Shea as a witness and she testifies, telling them everything and stating that Tyrion planned to kill Joffrey.
- Tyrion curses his entire family, and the entire kingdom before demanding a trial by combat.
Kill Count: Unknown
- Numerous Bolton and Greyjoy soldiers are slaughtered when Yara tries to save Theon.
- “I wish I was the monster you think I am.” – Tyrion Lannister
4.7 – Mockingbird
- Tyrion and Jaime talk, Jaime can’t fight for him. Cersei watches the Mountain destroy men, he will be her champion.
- Arya and the Hound find a building. Outside there’s an older man dying. The Hound kills him. The two men that were caged with Jaqen H’ghar attack them, the Hound kills one and Arya kills the other. Arya later helps the Hound with the bite.
- Jon and the men return to Castle Black. Jon suggests sealing the tunnel. Alliser orders Jon and Sam to the top of the Wall.
- Bronn visits Tyrion. He tells him he can’t fight the Mountain.
- Daenerys finds Daario in her private quarters. He asks her to kill her enemies. She makes him strip.
- Stannis’ wife visits Melisandre while she’s bathing. Melisandre says they must bring Stannis’ daughter with them.
- Jorah finds out Darrio slept with Danny, she tells him the second sons are retaking Yunkai. She has Jorah tell Darrio to give the masters of Yunkai an option to surrender, as he convinced her to show mercy.
- Brienne and Podrick eat at Hot Pie’s inn. He tells them that Arya is still alive somewhere. Podrick guesses she’s in route to Lysa Arryn. They decide to head that way.
- Oberyn visits Tyrion. Tells him that he met him when he was a baby. Says Cersei has always hated him. He’ll be Tyrion’s champion.
- Sansa makes a castle of Winterfell in the snow. Robin comes and ruins it, she slaps him when he yells at her.
- Baelish tells her he killed Joffrey because he loved Catelyn. He kisses her and Lysa sees.
- Lysa threatens to throw Sansa through the moon door. Petyr stops Lysa, and pushes her through the moon door.
Kill Count: 7
- The Hound mercifully kills an Old Man who is already in dying painfully.
- Biter and Rorge, the men that were locked up with Jaqen, are both killed by Arya. She also kills 3 other men they are with.
- Lady Lysa Arryn is thrown through the Moon Door by Peter Baelish.
- “’Nothing’ isn’t better or worse than anything. Nothing is just… nothing.” – Arya Stark
4.8 – The Mountain and The Viper
- At the Mole’s Town brothel Gilly gets crap from a whore about Sam crying. Tormund and his men attack. Ygritte saves Gilly.
- Sam feels guilty for putting Gilly in danger. They try to figure out how to stop Mance’s men.
- Grey Worm sees Missandei as they’re both bathing in a river. He apologizes. She says she’s glad he saw her.
- Ramsay sends Reek to Moat Cailin as Theon. The Ironborn surrender and Ramsay kills them all.
- The council of the Vale question Baelish and Sansa, she tells them who she is and says Lysa killed herself.
- Daenerys learns that Jorah spied on her when Barrister finds the Pardon, she orders him to leave Meereen.
- Roose meets with Ramsay and declares him Ramsay Bolton, no longer a Snow bastard.
- The Hound and Arya arrive at the Vale and discover her aunt Lysa has died.
- Baelish, Robin and Sansa prepare to tour the Vale.
- Tyrion and Jaime discuss Orson Lannister, a simpleton, who would smash beetles with rocks every single day. Tyrion tells him that he became obsessed over it. The bells ring and Jaime tells him good luck.
- The Mountain and Oberyn battle. Oberyn nearly defeats the Mountain, but demands he admit what he did to Oberyn’s sister and who ordered him to. He loses focus and the Mountain grabs him and crushes his skull.
Kill Count: Dozens
- Numerous whores and Night’s Watch men are killed at Mole’s Town when the Wildlings show up.
- Numerous Ironborn men are killed when Ramsay takes Moat Cailin from them.
- Oberyn Martell is killed by The Mountain in Tyrion’s trial by combat.
- “Today is not the day I die.” – Oberyn Martell
4.9 – Watchers on the Wall
- Sam asks Jon what it was like to be with a woman. Sam says their vows don’t exactly say no sex.
- Ygritte fights with a Thenn and says Jon Snow is hers to kill.
- Aemon finds Sam reading the writings of Maester Faul, all about Wildlings. Aemon says he was once in love. He tells Sam to go to sleep to help calm him. Gilly arrives at Castle Black and Sam keeps her safe.
- Tormund’s men arrive on the south side of Castle Black while Mance lights his fire north of the wall.
- Alliser admits they should have blocked the tunnel.
- As the Wildlings attack Castle Black Pyp is shot in the neck by Ygritte, Alliser is wounded, and Jon leads the battle.
- Ygritte is shot with an arrow by the boy from the village further south. She dies in Jon’s arms.
- The Night’s Watch win the battle and Jon heads north to try to broker peace with Mance.
Kill Count: Unknown
- Numerous Night’s Watch men, including Pypar and Grenn, are killed when the Wildlings attack Castle Black.
- Numerous Wildlings, including Ygritte, are killed when the Wildlings take Castle Black.
- “You know nothing Jon Snow.” – Ygritte
- Jon meets with Mance. Mance offers peace for safe passage. Stannis shows up and takes Mance prisoner.
- Cersei has the Queen revive the mountain
- Cersei tells Tywin she doesn’t want to marry Loras, that she’ll stay and keep Tommen safe. She threatens to reveal that the kids are Jaime’s. She tells Jaime that she told Tywin.
- Daenerys tries to keep balance in Meereen, when the dragons kill a young girl, she locks away Viserion and Rhaegal in the catacombs beneath the city.
- The Night’s Watch burn their fallen brothers. Jon speaks with Tormund and he tells Jon to burn Ygritte in the north. He does.
- Bran and company arrive at the weirwood tree. White Walkers attack, and Jojen dies. One of the Children bring bran into a cave. Bran meets the three eyed raven and is told he’ll be given what he lost.
- Brianne wakes up and finds their horses gone. She finds Arya and fights the Hound, she wins but loses sight of Arya. Arya finds the Hound, near death, and leaves him to die.
- Jaime lets Tyrion free. Tyrion goes to Tywin’s chamber and finds Shea. He kills her. He grabs a crossbow from his father’s room. He finds Tywin in the privy. He shoots him twice, killing him. Varys helps him escape.
- Arya gives a Captain the coin Jaqen H’ghar gave her and they sail for Braavos.
Kill Count: Unknown
- Zalla, a young girl in Meereen, is killed by Drogon.
- Meera mercifully slits Jojen’s throat and Leaf, a Child of the Forest, sets his body on fire as White Walkers come to attack.
- Numerous Wildlings and Baratheon soldiers are killed when Stannis comes north of the wall to help Jon take on Mance’s army.
- Tyrion strangles Shae and shoots Tywin Lannister with two arrows as he makes his escape from King’s Landing.
- “She loved you.” – Tormund
“She told you?” – Jon Snow
“No. All she ever talked about was killing you. That’s how I know.” – Tormund
- “Tywin? My lion.” – Shae
That’s it for Season 4 of Game of Thrones. Be sure to check back as we continue covering each season leading up to the final episode of Game of Thrones which airs Sunday at 9pm ET on HBO. Check out all our previous coverage below.