“My watch has ended.”
With Game of Thrones series finale airing this weekend, we’re taking a look at the road that led to the final battle for Westeros. Today we’re going through the sixth season with a rundown of what happened, who was killed, and our favorite line from each episode. Let’s dive in.
6.1 – The Red Woman
- Davos finds Jon, Melisandre says she saw him fighting in the flames.
- Alliser tells the Night’s Watch what he did.
- Davos tells Edd to bring the Wildlings to Castle Black.
- Theon and Sansa are found by Bolton men, and saved by Brienne and Podrick.
- Jaime returns to King’s Landing, and Cersei says she knew based on the witch’s prophecy that Myrcella would die.
- Ellaria and the Sand Snakes kill Doran and Trystane.
- Tyrion and Varys walk through Meereen and find all of the ships being burnt.
- Jorah and Daario find a ring Daenerys left at the spot the Dothraki took her.
- The Dothraki decide to take Daenerys to a temple where the widows of Kahls live and give wisdom to the Kahls.
- Alliser gives Davos til the end of the day to leave the room that Jon’s body is in.
- Waif attacks Arya, who is living as a blind beggar in Braavos.
- Melisandre goes to bed and reveals her true form — a very old woman.
Kill Count: A Dozen Or So
- Some Bolton soldiers are killed by Brienne when she saves Sansa.
- Areo Hotah, Trystane Martell, Maester Caleotte and Prince Doran Martell are all killed by Ellaria Sand and the Sand Snakes in their rebellion.
- “Fuck prophecy. Fuck fate. Fuck everyone who isn’t us.” – Jaime Lannister
6.2 – Home
- The three-eyed raven shows Bran his father and uncles as children and he learns that Hodor’s real name is Wylis and he used to speak properly.
- Wildlings arrive at Castle Black just as Alliser readies to take out Davos and Jon’s supporters.
- The Mountain kills a drunk man for lying and saying Cersei wanted him during her “walk of atonement.”
- Tommen doesn’t let Cersei go to the funeral for Myrcella because the Sparrows says she can’t be in the Sept.
- The High Sparrow tells Jaime they have the power to overthrow an empire.
- Tommen asks Cersei to help him regain his strength.
- Tyrion unchains Rhaegal and Viserion after hearing they haven’t been eating well.
- Jaqen brings Arya back to the House of Black and White.
- Roose tells Ramsay that his wife has had a son. Ramsay kills Roose, his step-mother, and the baby.
- Theon decides to head to the Iron Islands, knowing Sansa is safe with Brienne.
- Euron Greyjoy secretly arrives at the Iron Islands and kills Balon, Theon and Yara’s father, king of the Iron Islands.
- Melisandre brings Jon snow back from the dead.
Kill Count: 7
- Roose Bolton, his wife Walda Bolton, and their newborn child are all killed by Ramsay.
- Balon Greyjoy is killed by his brother Euron.
- A peasant in King’s Landing is killed by the Mountain when he overhears the main saying Cersei wanted him.
- 2 Unnamed Night’s Watch men are killed by Wun Wun when the Wildlings come to help stop Alliser Thorne from killing Davos and the good men of the Night’s Watch.
- “I’ve never been much of a fighter. Apologies for what you’re about to see.” – Davos Seaworth
- “I’m friends with your mother. I’m here to help. Don’t eat the help.” – Tyrion Lannister
- “Fuck him, then. Fuck all of them. I’m not a devout man, obviously. Seven gods, drowned gods, tree gods, it’s all the same. I’m not asking the lord of light for help. I’m asking the woman who showed me that miracles exist.” – Davos Seaworth
- “If you acquire a reputation as a mad dog, you’ll be treated as a mad dog. Taken out back and slaughtered for pig feed.” – Roose Bolton
6.3 – Oathbreaker
- Jon returns from the dead and tells Davos and Melisandre that there was nothing in death but darkness.
- Davos asks Jon to keep fighting, even if he fails.
- The three-eyed raven shows Bran a young Ned alongside a party of Northmen at the Tower of Joy in Dorne. Ned battles Ser Arthur Dayne, Howland Reed stabs Dayne in the back and Ned makes the final blow to Dayne. Bran wants to see more as Ned runs into the tower, but the Raven tells him they must go as he has much to learn.
- Daenerys is taken to the Temple of the Dosh Khaleen in Vaes Dothrak.
- Varys learns, and informs Tyrion and Daenerys’ council, that the former masters of Astapor, Yunkai, and Volantis are backing the Sons of the Harpy.
- Qyburn takes control of Varys’ “little birds” in King’s Landing.
- Cersei attempts to attend a small council meeting and all the members of the small council leave.
- Arya is tested by Jaqen and is given her sight back.
- Smalljon Umber “gifts” Ramsay with Rickon and Osha.
- Jon executes Olly, Alliser, and two other traitors. He decides to leave the Watch.
- Bowen Marsh, Othell Yarwick, Olly and Alliser Thorne are all executed for having killed Jon Snow.
- Greatjon Umber dies, how and under what circumstance are not detailed.
- Shaggydog, Rickon’s direwolf, is killed by the Umbers.
- In a flashback Arthur Dayne and Gerold Hightower, two members of King Aerys Targaryen are killed by Ned Stark and his fellow rebels.
- “You clean up as much of the shit as you can.” – Davos Seaworth
“I don’t know how to do that. I thought I did, but… I failed.” – Jon Snow
“Good. Now go fail again.” – Davos Seaworth
- “They think you’re some kind of god. The man that return from the dead.” – Tormund Giantsbane
“I’m not a god.” – Jon Snow
“I know that. I saw your pecker. What kind god had a pecker that small?” – Tormund Giantsbane
- “My watch has ended.” – Jon Snow
6.4 – Book of the Stranger
- Jon and Edd discuss Jon leaving.
- Sansa arrives at Castle Black and asks Jon for help taking back Winterfell.
- Melisandre believes Jon is the “Prince that was promised” who will defeat the dead.
- Brienne tells Davos and Melisandre she’s the one who killed Stannis.
- Littlefinger convinces Robin that the Knights of the Vale should help Sansa.
- Tyrion attempts to make a peace deal with the Masters, giving them seven years to end slavery.
- Jorah and Daario find Daenerys, and she stops them from removing her, as she has a plan.
- Loras begs Margaery to make the torturing stop at any cost.
- Cersei tells her uncle Kevan Lannister, who is now Hand of the King, to send the Tyrell army in to get Margaery and Loras and end the Sparrows’ reign.
- Theon returns home and tells Yara that he wants her to rule the Iron Islands.
- Ramsay kills Osha and sends Jon a threatening letter.
- When the Khals enter the Temple, Daenerys burns it to the ground, killing all of them and the Dosh Khaleen and emerges from the flames. The entirety of the Dothraki army bow down before her.
Kill Count: 15
- 10 Khals and 5 Dothraki warriors and bloodriders are burned alive by Daenerys.
- “If I don’t look after you, Father’s ghost will come back and murder me.” – Jon Snow
- “Yes, it’s in the past. It doesn’t mean I forget.” – Brienne of Tarth
6.5 – The Door
- Sansa meets with Littlefinger at Mole’s Town with Brienne at her side. She tells him that he can’t control her.
- Arya is tasked with killing a woman named Lady Crane.
- Bran is taken back to see the Children of the Forest making the first White Walker, hoping to use them as weapons against mankind.
- Euron is made King of the Iron Islands. Theon and Yara leave with those that will follow them. Euron vows to find and murder them.
- Jorah tells Daenerys he has greyscale, and she orders him to find a cure.
- Tyrion asks a red priestess of the Lord of Light to help sway the people towards Daenerys.
- Jon and Sansa work to build an army against Ramsay, going to different Northern Houses.
- Bran gets too close to the Night King while within a vision and he touches Bran, giving him the ability to find him. The White Walkers come for him.
- The three-eyed raven says that Bran must now take all of the information available to him. He becomes lost within the visions and Meera, Hodor, and Summer work to get them out as the three-eyed raven is killed.
- After they leave the cave, Meera is able to get Bran to control Hodor and he holds a door to the cave as the White Walkers tear at his body and Meera and Bran escape.
- It’s revealed that as a child Wylis saw and heard Bran and Meera because of Bran going back as the three-eyed raven. His past and present are mixed and as a young man he screams “hold the door” repeatedly until all he can say is Hodor.
Kill Count: 4 (And a bunch of White Walkers)
- Summer the direwolf, Leaf, Hodor and the Three Eyed Raven are all killed by White Walkers.
- “Hold the door.” – Hodor
- “I suppose it’s hard for a fanatic to admit a mistake. Isn’t that the whole point of being a fanatic? You’re always right. Everything it the Lord’s will.” – Lord Varys
6.6 – Blood of My Blood
- Meera and Bran are saved by Benjen. He reveals that the Children of the Forest saved him by essentially turning him into a good White Walker.
- Sam and Gilly head to his family’s home, and he warns her that his father hates Wildlings. They get there and are welcomed by his mother and sister, Talla. At dinner Gilly reveals she’s a Wildling; Sam’s dad Randyll Tarly flips. That night, Sam decides to leave and he takes the family sword which is made of Valyrian steel.
- Tommen visits Margaery, and she tells him that all is right and that the Gods have a plan.
- Arya decides not to kill Lady Crane after seeing her perform in a play based on the deaths of Robert and Joffrey Baratheon. Waif tells Jaqen, and he says she may kill Arya.
- The Tyrell army arrives at the Sept to stop the High Sparrow from making Margaery take a walk of atonement like Cersei. The High Sparrow announces the walk is cancelled and brings out Tommen who has pledged allegiance to the Sparrows.
- Tommen removes Jaime from the King’s Guard.
- Walder Frey learns that Blackfish took Riverrun and orders Edmure Tully to take it back for the Lannisters.
- Cersei asks Jaime to lead the Lannister army and retake Riverrun to prove that their family is still strong.
- Daenerys rides to Meereen with 100,000 Dothraki soldiers. She climbs on Drogon’s back and rallies them, saying they will all be her bloodriders, a role usually restricted to three leaders of a Khal’s army.
Kill Count: 1 (And a lot of White Walkers)
- King Aerys II Targaryen is killed in a flashback.
- White Walkers are killed by Benjen when he saves Bran and Meera.
- “I’m not angry at you. I’m angry that horrible people can treat good people that way and get away with it.” – Gilly
6.7 – The Broken Man
- The Hound is alive and living with a group of peaceful villagers. They’re building a sept and being led by a kind Septon named Brother Ray. A few Brothers Without Banners show up and leave after trying to extort the group. The Hound tells Ray they’re gonna come back. The Hound seems to be reassessing his violent past. The men come back when the Hound is away and kill everyone. He grabs an axe and goes to find them.
- The High Septon asks Margaery to make an heir with Tommen and to get Olenna in line.
- Olenna tells Cersei she’s better off leaving King’s Landing.
- Jaime arrives at Riverrun and unsuccessfully tries to barter a peace deal with Blackfish.
- Jon and Sansa are barely able to gather men together to fight the Boltons. Between lack of men and many houses being bitter about losing men to Robb’s failed war, they don’t have enough men.
- Yara tells Theon they’re going to go to Daenerys and ask for her help to stop Euron.
- Arya makes plans to sail from Braavos to Westeros and is stabbed in the gut by Waif.
Kill Count: Over a Dozen
- Brother Ray and the other peaceful villagers are killed by some Brothers without Banners.
- “We’re not clever like you southerners. When we say we’ll do something, we do it.” – Tormund Giantsbane
- “Violence is a disease. You don’t cure a disease by spreading it to more people.” – Brother Ray
- “I wonder if you’re the worst person I’ve ever met. At a certain age, it’s hard to recall. But the truly vile do stand out through the years.” – Olenna Tyrell
6.8 – No One
- Arya goes to Lady Crane and she mends Arya’s wounds.
- Sandor kills the Brothers that killed the villagers he was living with.
- Varys leaves Meereen.
- The Sparrows attempt to take Cersei. The Mountain stops them, ripping off the head of one of the Sparrows.
- Brienne arrives in Riverrun on behalf of Sansa to see if Blackfish will come fight for Winterfell. Jaime lets her speak with Blackfish and he refuses to leave Riverrun.
- Tommen announces a date for Cersei and Loras’ trials and declares trial by combat illegal.
- Tyrion drinks with Grey Worm and Missandei and talks about wanting his own vineyard. The Masters attack Meereen.
- Jaime threatens to kill Edmure’s child if he doesn’t help him take Riverrun. Edmure is able to walk into Rivverrun despite Blackfish’s objections, and he hands it over to Jaime. Jaime’s men kill the Riverrun soldiers and Blackfish.
- Brienne leaves Riverrun without issue.
- Daenerys returns to Meereen.
- The Hound finds Beric and his group of Brothers Without Banners, ready to hang the rest of the men responsible for killing the villagers. Beric lets him kill two out of the three men and asks him to come with his group.
- Waif finds Arya and kills Lady Crane. Arya leads her on a chase before killing her. She brings the face to Jaqen H’ghar and he declares that she has become no one.
Kill Count: 11
- Brynden “Blackfish” Tully is killed trying to keep Riverrun.
- Lady Crane is killed by the Waif, and the Waif is killed by Arya.
- 1 of the Faith Militant are beheaded by The Mountain.
- 7 Brothers without Banners are killed by the Hound and Beric as vengeance/justice for the villagers they killed.
- “A girl is Arya Stark of Winterfell and I’m going home.” – Arya Stark
- “You’re shit at dying, you know that?” – The Hound
6.9 – Battle of the Bastards
- The Masters ask Daenerys to surrender as she has the dragons burn the ships and the Dothraki kill the Sons of the Harpy.
- Ramsay and Jon meet for the first time. Jon makes plans for their battle and Sansa warns him that he doesn’t know Ramsay or how he’s playing him.
- Tormund and Davos bond over dead kings.
- Jon asks Melisandre not to bring him back from the dead again.
- Davos finds a stag carving he gave Shireen and realizes Melisandre burned her.
- Daenerys agrees to help Yara and Theon.
- The Battle of the Bastards begins.
- Ramsay lets Rickon run to Jon, and just before Jon can reach him, Ramsay shoots Rickon with an arrow that kills him.
- As the battle truly takes place, Jon’s men begin to lose. Sansa shows up with the Knights of the Vale, helping to win the battle.
- Ramsay retreats to Winterfell, and the giant Wun Wun breaks down the gate before dying from being shot with numerous arrows.
- Jon beats Ramsay to a pulp. They imprison him in the kennel and Sansa lets out the dogs. She watches as they begin to eat Ramsay, having not been fed for a week.
Kill Count: Thousands
- Thousands of Jon’s soldiers and Bolton soldiers are killed in the Battle of the Bastards including Jon Umber and Wun Wun.
- Rickon Stark is killed by Ramsay Bolton.
- Belicho Paenymion and Razdal mo Eraz are killed by Grey Worm.
- Ramsay Bolton is eaten by his dogs as Sansa watches.
- “Your words will disappear. Your house will disappear. Your name will disappear. All memory of you will disappear.” – Sansa Stark
- “You’re going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well.” – Sansa Stark
- “Lord Tyrion tells me your father was a terrible king.” – Daenerys Targaryen
“You and I have that in common.” – Yara Greyjoy
6.10 – Winds of Winter
- Everyone prepares for the trial of Cersei and Loras within the Sept.
- Loras is brought into the Sept for his trial. He confesses and becomes a Sparrow.
- The Mountain comes to Tommen, and keeps him from leaving his room.
- When Cersei doesn’t arrive for her trial, Lancel is sent to get her.
- Maester Pycell is murdered by the “little birds.” Lancel is stabbed as well.
- Margaery realizes Cersei has something planned, but is unable to get out of the Sept.
- The Sept explodes with Wildfire, killing everyone at Cersei and Loras’ trials.
- Cersei tortures Septa Unella and confesses to killing Robert and all her other evils actions before letting The Mountain torture her.
- Tommen jumps from his window after he learns everyone is dead.
- The Freys celebrate their success, and Walder tries to bond with Jaime as a King Slayer. Jaime asks why they need the Freys if they constantly have to save them.
- Sam and Gilly arrive at the Citadel.
- Davos makes Melisandre tell Jon that she burned Shireen. Jon tells her to leave or be executed.
- Sansa apologizes for not telling Jon about the Knights of the Vale. Jon asks that they trust each other.
- Olenna speaks with the Serpents at Dorne. Varys is there ready to help seek vengeance.
- Daenerys asks Daarin to watch over Meereen. She renames the land The Bay of Dragons.
- Daenerys names Tyrion Hand of the Queen.
- Arya feeds Walder Frey a pie with his sons in it and slashes his throat.
- Littlefinger asks Sansa who should rule Winterfell.
- Benjen drops Bran and Meera off at the Wall.
- Bran sees Ned at Lyanna’s bedside as she dies. She asks him to watch over her son, Jon.
- The Northern Houses join to follow Jon in his fight against the White Walkers.
- Jaime arrives back to King’s Landing as Cersei takes the Throne.
- Daenerys and her armies sail to Westeros from The Bay of Dragons.
- The Sparrows, The Tyrells residing in King’s Landing (Including Margaery and her father), Kevan Lannister, anyone attending Cersei’s funeral.
- Lancel Lannister is stabbed by a “little bird” and left to die amidst W
- Tommen jumps from his window.
- Walder Frey and his sons, murdered by Arya.
- “Sometimes before we can usher in the new, the old has to be put to rest.” – Qyburn
- “Winter is here.” – Sansa Stark
That’s it for Season six of Game of Thrones. Be sure to check back as we continue covering each season leading up to the final episode of Game of Thrones which airs Sunday night at 9pm ET on HBO.