“The lords of Westeros are sheep. Are you a sheep? No. You’re a dragon. Be a dragon.”
With Game of Thrones final episode airing Sunday, we’re taking a look at the road that led to the final battle for Westeros. Today we’re going through the seventh season with a rundown of what happened, who was killed, and our favorite line from each episode. Let’s dive in.
7.1 – Dragonstone
- Arya takes Walder Frey’s face and kills the Frey family.
- Bran sees the army of the dead march south as he and Meera are let through the tunnel on the Wall.
- Jon prepares the North to battle the army of the dead, butting heads with Sansa over how he leads.
- Cersei begins plans to take complete hold over the Seven Kingdoms, Jaime is worried as they have no allies.
- Euron Greyjoy arrives at King’s Landing with ships for Cersei, he proposes marriage and vows to bring her a gift.
- Sam begins work at the Citadel, and discovers that Dragonstone has a mountain of Dragon Glass they can mine to kill White Walkers.
- The Hound joins up with the Brothers without Banners and they arrive at the farmhouse he and Arya were previously at. He continues to question his purpose as he sees the dead marching on the wall when looking into flames.
- Jorah Mormont is at the Citadel having his Greyscale tended to, it’s gotten much worse.
- Daenerys arrives at Dragonstone.
Kill Count: Dozens
- The Frey House, every member is poisoned by Arya Stark.
- Farmer and Daughter, though they died long before, their deaths are confirmed in this episode.
- “Shall we begin?” – Daenerys
7.2 – Stormborn
- Daenerys questions Varys, he vows to help Daenerys and advise if he believes she is failing the people.
- Melisandre arrives in Dragonstone and asks her to summon Jon Snow. Tyrion says Jon is a good man and valuable.
- Missandei says the Prince who is Promised could be a Princess.
- Jon, Sansa, and Davos question whether he should meet with Daenerys.
- Cersei tells the Lords of the Reach that they need to band together against Daenerys.
- Jaime asks Randyll Tarly for allegiance and to help him take out the Tyrells who have sided with Daenerys.
- Ebrose, the Arch Maester tends to Jorah, with Sam at his side, he tells Jorah he can stay one more day.
- Qyburn shows Cersei a giant crossbow which can be used to take down dragons.
- Daenerys meets with Yara, Olenna, and Ellaria Sand. Tyrion lays out their plans: Dorne, Tyrells, and Greyjoys attack King’s Landing while the Unsullied take Casterly Rock.
- Olenna tells Daenerys to be a Dragon amidst sheep.
- Missandei says goodbye to Grey Worm, he admits she is his weakness, they sleep together.
- Sam asks Ebrose if he found a way to help Jorah, Ebrose says it’s banned.
- Sam goes to Jorah, and begins to remove the Greyscale.
- Arya finds out from Hot Pie that Jon is back at Winterfell and heads North.
- Jon decides to head to Dragonstone, despite objections from the Lords, and leaves Sansa in charge.
- Jon threatens to kill Littlefinger if he goes near Sansa and leaves for Dragonstone.
- Arya sees Nymeria.
- Yara’s ships are attacked by Euron. He burns the ships, kills Obara and Nymeria Sand, and takes the women, Theon jumps overboard instead of saving Yara.
Kill Count: Unknown
- Yara, Ellaria, and Olenna’s Soldiers are massacred by Euron Greyjoy’s armada.
- “The lords of Westeros are sheep. Are you a sheep? No. You’re a dragon. Be a dragon.” – Olenna Tyrell
7.3 – The Queen’s Justice
- Tyrion welcomes Jon to Dragonstone. They turn over their weapons and the Dothraki take the boat.
- Jon and Davos see the Dragons. Melisandre tells Varys she’s leaving Westeros for now.
- Daenerys asks Jon to bend the knee, and she’ll name him Warden of the North. Jon says no.
- Theon is pulled out of the water by one of Yara’s ships.
- Euron returns to King’s Landing with Yara, Ellaria, and Tyene. Cersei names him commander of the Royal Navy.
- Cersei kisses Tyene with the same poisonous lipstick Ellaira killed Myrcella did. Leaves Ellaria imprisoned with Tyene so she can watch her die and rot.
- Cersei sleeps with Jaime and lets a handmaid see Jaime in her bed the next morning.
- Cersei meets with Tycho Nestoris, from the Iron Bank, she vows to repay the Lannister debt to the Iron Bank.
- Jon tells Tyrion he needs Dragonglass, Tyrion convinces Daenerys to let Jon mine the Dragonglass.
- Littlefinger tells Sansa to fight and be prepared for all battles.
- Bran returns to Winterfell. He tells Sansa that he is the three-eyed Raven.
- Jorah is cured, and Ebrose has Sam copy old scrolls and books.
- The Unsullied take Casterly Rock while the brunt of the Lannister forces take Highgarden and overthrow the Tyrells.
- Jaime speaks with Olenna, she tells him Cersei will be the end of him. Jaime gives Olenna poison, she drinks it and admits to him she killed Joffrey.
Kill Count: Hundreds
- Lannister and Unsullied men die at Casterly rock.
- Some Lannister men, and nearly every Tyrell soldier dies fighting Jaime’s men.
- Tyene Sand is killed by Cersei, and Ellaria Sand is left to die in her cell.
- Olenna Tyrell is given poison by Jaime Lannister.
- “I came down here to brood over my failure to predict the Greyjoy attack. You’re making it difficult. You look a lot better brooding than I do. You make me feel like I’m failing at brooding over failing.” – Tyrion to Jon Snow
- “Tell Cersei, I want her to know it was me.” – Olenna Tyrell confessing to Jaime that she killed Joffrey.
7.4 – The Spoils of War
- Jaime leaves Highgarden with all the Tyrell gold. Tycho pledges support to Cersei once he receives the gold.
- Littlefinger tells Bran he’ll do anything for him and gives him the dagger that nearly killed him.
- Meera tells Bran she’s leaving, he tells her he’s not really Bran anymore.
- Arya returns to Winterfell. Bran gives her Littlefinger’s dagger.
- Pod tells Brienne she kept her vow.
- Jon shows Daenerys the mines and old cave carvings by the Children showing images of White Walkers.
- Daenerys learns about the Tyrells and Jon advises not to burn down the Red Keep.
- Arya trains with Brienne as Sansa watches with Littlefinger.
- Davos and Jon talk with Missandei and she explains that Daenerys is the Queen they chose.
- Theon returns to Dragonstone and Jon says he won’t kill him because he helped Sansa.
- Daenerys leads the Dothraki and Drogon as they attack Jaime’s men, killing nearly all of them and destroying all the food and resources they were bringing to King’s Landing.
- Bronn hits Drogon with an Arrow from the large crossbow and as Daenerys tends to him, Jaime tries to attack, Bronn saves Jaime from being burnt by Drogon, and he falls into the depths of the water.
Kill Count: Thousands
- Lannister men are decimated by Daenerys’ army.
- “Chaos is a ladder.” – Bran Stark
7.5 – Eastwatch
- Bronn pulls Jaime out of the water, tells him that their partnership ends when all three Dragons show up to kill them.
- Daenerys tells the surviving Lannister men that they can bend the knee or die. Randyll and Dickon Tarly refuse to bend the knee, so Daenerys burns them.
- Jaime returns to the Red Keep and tells Cersei this isn’t a war they can win, and tells Cersei Olenna killed Joffrey.
- Daenerys returns to Dragonstone and Drogon lets Jon pet him. Jorah returns to Dragonstone and meets Jon.
- Ebrose is meeting with Maesters, having received a message from Bran warning of the White Walkers. Sam tells them the threat is real, and Ebrose should help.
- Tyrion and Varys discuss Daenerys burning the Tarly’s.
- Jon receives a scroll saying Bran and Arya are dead, and advises the Night King is marching on Eastwatch.
- Tyrion suggests bringing a wight to King’s Landing. Jorah and Jon decide to go north to get one.
- The Lords of the North are upset that Jon left. Arya suggests violence.
- Davos smuggles Tyrion into King’s Landing so he can convince Jaime to have Cersei meet with Daenerys.
- Davos finds Gendry and asks him to join him, Gendry comes without question.
- Jaime tells Cersei about his meeting, she knew. She tells him she’s pregnant and tells him to never betray her again.
- Davos and Gendry arrive to Dragonstone, Gendry tells Jon who he really is. Gendry tells Jon he wants to go with them North of the wall.
- Tyrion tells Jorah he missed him. Jon and the other men leave Dragonstone for Eastwatch.
- Gilly reads that Rhaegar Targaryen, Daenerys’ older brother, had his marriage annulled.
- Sam decides to take the books he needs and leave the Citadel.
- Arya watches Littlefinger talk with the Lords of Winterfell, and has the maester find a scroll.
- Arya breaks into Littlefinger’s room and finds the scroll, it’s the one Sansa sent asking Catelyn and Robb to bend the knee to Joffrey. Littlefinger sees her leave his room.
- Jon and the men arrive at Eastwatch. The Hound and the Brothers without Banners are there. They all head north of the wall.
Kill Count: 4
- Randyll and Dickon Tarly, burned to death by Drogon at Daenerys’ order.
- Two Gold Cloaks who find Davos, Gendry and Tyrion as they’re leaving King’s Landing.
- “Nothing fucks you harder than time.” – Davos Seaworth
7.6 – Beyond the Wall
- Jon, Gendry, Tormund, Jorah, The Hound, Beric, Thoros and a few other men travel north.
- Tormund tells Jon not to let his pride get in the way concerning Daenerys.
- Jon tells Jorah that he got vengeance for his father’s death. He tries to give Jorah Longclaw, but he rejects it saying it belongs to Jon.
- Arya shows Sansa the scroll asking Catelyn and Robb to bend the knee to save Ned. Arya blames Sansa for being part of Ned’s beheading.
- Tormund tells The Hound he wants to be with Brienne.
- Tyrion asks Daenerys who will succeed her if she can’t bear children.
- Jon and the men north of the wall are attacked by a giant White Walker bear. Thoros is badly wounded by it.
- Sansa tells Littlefinger that Arya found the scroll, he suggests enlisting Lady Brienne’s help.
- Jon and the other men take out some wights and grab one to bring it back. The entire army comes barreling down on them. Jon has Gendry send a raven to Daenerys.
- Jon and the other men get to a rock in the middle of a frozen pond, surrounded by White Walkers.
- Thoros dies in the night. They realize that if they kill the White Walkers that turned the dead into Wights, the ones they turn die. If they kill the Night King it could all be over.
- Sansa receives an invitation to King’s Landing, she sends Brienne to stand for her.
- Daenerys decides to head north to save Jon and the other men.
- The Hound throws stones at the Wights and one stone glides on the ice, showing the Wights they can walk on the frozen pond now. They attack.
- Just as Jon and the surviving men are about to be overtaken, Daenerys shows up with all three dragons.
- The Night King throws a spear into Viserion, and he dies, falling into the Icy Lake. Daenerys takes off with everyone as Jon falls into the lake.
- Jon crawls out and is saved by Benjen, who is then overtaken by wights. When Jon gets to the wall they take him to a cabin in one of Daenerys’ ships. She sees Jon’s scars from being killed.
- Sansa finds Arya’s faces. Arya explains the faces, and her training.
- Jon apologizes to Daenerys for losing Viserion, she vows to take down the Night King. Jon thanks her and calls her his queen.
- The Wights pull Viserion from the frozen lake and the Night King turns him into a Wight.
Kill Count: 3-4
- Thoros and a handful of other men are lost North of the Wall.
- “The enemy always wins, but we still need to fight him.” – Beric Dondarrion
7.7 – The Dragon and the Wolf
- The Lannister army prepares for potential battle with the unsullied.
- Daenerys’ group arrive at King’s Landing. Daenerys isn’t with them. They all meet at Dragonpit, with Daenerys arriving on the back of Drogon.
- Euron goads Theon and Tyrion. Cersei doesn’t like the idea of a truce.
- The Hound brings out the Wight. Euron says he’s heading back to the Iron Islands.
- Cersei says she’ll agree to a truce if Jon does not bend the knee to Daenerys, he says no and Cersei backs out.
- Tyrion tries to convince Cersei to adhere to the truce. He realizes she’s pregnant.
- Cersei agrees to fight alongside them in the war against the dead.
- Littlefinger tries to convince Sansa that she should take over the north, that Arya is a threat.
- Jon encourages Theon to save Yara. Theon goes to the Ironborn and fights Harrag, he leads them to save Yara.
- Sansa and Arya surprise Littlefinger with a trial. He begs for mercy. Arya slashes his throat.
- Jaime makes plans to march north with the army. Cersei tells him they’re not going to march, they’re going to let everyone die, and Euron is really ferrying the Golden Company to Westeros.
- Jaime leaves Cersei, saying he will stick to his vow. As he leaves King’s Landing it begins to snow.
Kill Count: Unknown
- Petyr “Littlefinger” Baelish has his throat slashed by Arya Stark when found guilty of murder and treason by Sansa Stark.
- An unknown number of Wildlings and Night Watch men are killed when the Night King knocks down the wall and Eastwatch.
- “That is indeed a problem. The more immediate problem is that we’re fucked.” – Tyrion Lannister
That’s it for Season Seven of Game of Thrones. Be sure to check back for our review of Season Seven, and plenty more coverage of Game of Thrones before it all ends Sunday at 9pm ET on HBO.